Monday, December 14, 2009

Best Christmas Present Ever

Can you believe I am doing 2 posts today?

I just read my friend Rett's post from today and boy did it get me thinking. Yesterday our pastor ask us what the best gift we ever got was and then Rett just asked the same thing. It really got me thinking about the best gift I ever got.

I have been the type of person that it has always been very hard me me to make a Christmas list even as a child. When I got married my husbands family makes you do a Christmas list and that was the hardest thing ever.

When I was a teen (I think about 15) my mom ask what I wanted for Christmas and I couldn't think of anything. I decided I wanted to give up my entire Christmas to give to an inner city child in Chicago. I found out later that the teen was able to get on a bus and go to California to see family with the money I sent. Do you know that is the only Christmas present I can ever really remember getting? Isn't that weird that the only present I really ever remember getting is one I gave instead of getting.

I'm not telling you this to make you think that I am special or anything because trust me I'm not.

What got me thinking is that as a mom now it would kill me to not buy my child any presents. What if my mom would have said "Sarah, that is a wonderful idea but I really want you to have Christmas too"? What if she would have just sent the money but also went ahead and gave me Christmas? What if my mom would have taken the only Christmas gift that really ever meant anything to me away from me because it would have been hard on her not to buy me something?

I pray that I can be the kind of mom that puts away my selfish desires to let my children serve God. Thank you Mom! Thanks Rett for your post!

What are some special things you remember about a Christmas gift?

No comments: