Monday, June 22, 2009

Consider Doing This

One of the blogs I follow Joy Unspeakable had a post on it the other day about how it is hard for small businesses right now. Most of us do have to shop at large chain stores simply because they are cheaper most the time. Lori though posted asking people to consider buying products that are homeade or from small businesses when you buy gifts for people. Is that not a wonderful idea?



So you get to buy a wonderful handmade item that is not like something you would find in the store and you are helping a "normal" person make some money. Coming from a family that has 2 parents that own their own businesses I know how important this is to help these people out.



So I would like to encourage you to try doing this. This is the time of year I start thinking about Christmas (we have a large family) and doing our shoeboxes for Samaritan's Purse.



If you have never been to Etsy go check them out at http://www.etsy.com/ . Etsy is a site where people sell the homemade products and antiques. There are very, very cool things on the site. There is even a place on the homepage that will show you stores that haven't had a sale yet. How cool would it be to make someone's day and be their first sale? A lot of people trying to raise money for adoptions sell things on this site too.



If you know of someone that sells on Etsy or anywhere else on the web that makes homemade products can you leave a link in the comments for my readers to check out and for me?



I would also encourage you to click on Lori's name and go read the post she wrote.

3 comments:

Adeye said...

That is such a wonderful idea! I love etsy.

Brandi said...

My Mother In Law makes ADORABLE aprons and all the money goes to Children's HopeChest Uganda program! They are super cute, homemade and benefit precious little orphans!

www.apronsforafrica.com

Brandi

Adeye said...

Good morning, friend--check my blog, I have a little surprise for you :)