Sunday, March 25, 2012

WOW! Have My Eyes Been Opened

I'm sitting here at 5:30 in the morning because my head is just spinning in circles from this last week. A week ago we were cuddling our little one to be and this morning I sit very much overwhelmed about a lot of things.

To be honest last night I was TICKED OFF!!! Thankfully a friend called just at the right moment and let be just be angry and vent.

I really can't go into much detail but with many hours at the hospital this weekend, many hours with the director of our Child Protective Services, many hours of learning about situations I AM SICK!!! It is not right that kids should have to go through what they do. It makes me who has lived a sheltered life angry, confused and just wondering how anyone could get to a point like these parents in the system do (I'm not just talking about the placement we have now).

On the good side God has blown me away by using his people to come together to help us out this weekend with making phone calls, sitting with a sick little one (who has stolen everyone's heart), bringing us clothes and coming home to someone that filled our kitchen with milk, eggs, bananas and sooooo much more (and these wonderful little cake balls that was perfect after such a long crazy day.

God showed me that the foster care system is a team effort. Not only did our local child Protective Service be there for me at a moments notice the director took her Saturday to go sit with me at a children's hospital a couple of hours away so that I could have a break when needed. I was so thankful to have this time to sit and talk with her, cry with her, and learn about the system.

These workers are so overwhelmed it is just crazy! I had no idea until I just spent the weekend with 2 caseworkers on what they really have to do in their job. If you want to do a random act of kindness this week  I have a couple of ideas:

1. Send flowers or a gift basket or maybe just gift certificates to your local Department of Child Services and just leave a note thanking them and encouraging them for what they do. I honestly think they have one of the hardest jobs there is!

2. Go buy some new clothes, diapers, shoes and pajamas and drop them off at your local Child Protective Services or local emergency room for kids entering the system. Let's just say that many kids come in needing cleaned up very badly and they need something to wear right away. I can't even tell you the look on these kids faces when they get something NEW.

3. Just call their office and ask if they need anything.

4. Sign up to be a foster parent (yes, I am even saying this with being overwhelmed at the moment).

Man...if churches and Child Services could work as teams like what happened this weekend then things could run a lot smoother for everyone involved. Honestly if God wouldn't have placed his people into action this weekend and people willing to say yes to God this weekend I don't know what would have happened.

Now on a side note, please pray for some broken little hearts in our home. We have a lot to figure out over the next couple of weeks, a lot of appointments to make and a lot of prayer needed!

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Hi Sarah,
Oh How hard that must be. I can only imagine the heart ache and the sadness for the children!
So exciting that you have met your sweet new boy! I am sure you are so
anxious to get him home and love on him and care for his needs!
After my post and your comment I started thinking of so many questions to
ask you. Is your home handicap accessible? Ours is not, just curious. :)
Are you thinking of a handicap accessible van? Thoughts if you are? I
think we may be headed that route.
Will you be using Cincinnati Children's Hospital?
We are actually looking for a house with at least 2 bedrooms down but they
are few and far between in our city:)
Hope all is going well with your new ones. WOW! now that is a lot of kids
:)
Did your mom tell you I used to beg my mom to foster? We looked into
foster to adopt before deciding on China. We do foster kittens though :)
tried to email you but I must have the wrong address :)